WARNING: Don't update NEX-3/NEX-5 Firmware from Mac OSX + how to recover if bricked

Started Apr 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Prembo
Prembo Junior Member • Posts: 27
WARNING: Don't update NEX-3/NEX-5 Firmware from Mac OSX + how to recover if bricked

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony NEX-5 and decided to do a firmware update (from v2 -> v3) this morning from Mac OSX 10.6.5. Mind you, I downloaded the firmware updater from the Sony website which is supposed to work for 10.6.5 (only, as I found out later, not 64 bit).

So during the update the Mac experienced 'kernel panic' and the Mac required a reboot. Meanwhile, the NEX-5 was (or at least appeared to be) dead. Blank screen, no sound, and the red LED in the battery compartment was lit.

Removing batteries, SD card and attached accessories didn't make a difference. Neither did discharging any stored charge by removing the battery, turning it on and holding the shutter button down.

SOLUTION:

In desperation, I plugged the camera into a Windows PC, and was surprised to hear the USB connection sound, which told me that despite appearing to be dead, at least the bootloader/firmware update ROM was still active.

So I download the appropriate firmware updater (for Windows) from Sony and followed instructions.

Thankfully.... It worked and the camera is alive and now upgraded to v3!

Phew... No warranty/service call needed.

Hope this helps others too. If you believe you've bricked your NEX-3/NEX-5 updating from Mac OSX 10.6.5, there might still be hope.

Prembo.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow