Testing a 'defective' D7K

Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,798
Testing a 'defective' D7K

A friend of mine recently purchased a D7K upon my recommendation. He's a long time Canon shooter, amateur, and had heard much of the newest Nikon machine.

It didn't go well He was having no luck getting sharp shots of just about anything it seemed, especially his grand-kids. I gave him some settings and usage insights but this didn't help much at all. He believed the camera was defective as he had read much of this on the 'net.

I thought perhaps he was asking too much of the kit lens and lent him a couple lenses from my kit. He did better with the kit lens

He asked me to test the camera for him and see what the problem might be so I picked it up yesterday and used it for two casual walkabouts.

Seemed to handle moving subjects okay...

200mm, f3.5

200mm, f3.5

200mm, f2.8

Let's try a severe crop under flat light...

300mm, f4

And some easy shots...

300mm, f4, ISO 2000 (no noise reduction)

200mm, f3.5

200mm, f2.8

200mm, f2.8

20mm, f3.5

I'm no skilled technical tester of camera equipment but methinks the camera is just fine My friend is returning to his Canon equipment, doesn't trust the D7K.

He expected to master a rather complex machine in one week having never used the brand before. Just doesn't work that way, folks.

I tried a Canon 7D when they came out and it took me two months to determine I would be staying a Nikon guy.

Perhaps I'll make my friend an offer and save him the trouble of a re-stocking fee
--
Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow