E-PL1 and Panny 45-200 OIS lens

Started Apr 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
abatterbury New Member • Posts: 20
Re: E-PL1 and Panny 45-200 OIS lens

I actually have a PL1 and the Panny 45-200mm. Overall I like it, though I definitely cut it some slack based on what a great value it is. Here's what I can say from my own experience:
--AF is fast in good light and crappy in low light, but always silent
--Sharpness is good

-- hide signature --

It's big, but not oversized on a u4/3 body, but it does extend a little below the base on my PL1
--It's so affordable!

For the specific question about the IS, I turn off the body and turn on the lens and get good results. I can't recall where I read this, but I'm pretty sure that this is the general recommendation. Consider this - the IS in the lens is rated an extra stop relative to the body, and the reason that Pannys (e.g. the GF1) doesn't have in-body IS is because the lenses give you all you need.

As you can see from the photo, it's pretty sharp even fully extended, but there is noticeable chromatic aberration just below the squirrel's mouth. This guy wasn't going to stand still for me to do a lens test, but suffice to say that your fancy DSLR with it's fancy lens would get a better result, but I have money for the plane ticket to New Zealand to take the pretty pictures

--Alex

abatterbury's gear list:abatterbury's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow