Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,327
Re: get both

Jon Rty wrote:

Well, if your wife also has a smartphone, and both want to use a tablet, then you'd both buy the dock. If she doesn't, then we're back to the scenario where one doesn't own a smartphone, and a phone-tablet might end up being cheaper. The irony of a iPad might on the other hand be that you buy it thinking you'll use it, and realize later that you don't use it nearly enough to justify having another expensive device.

Here's a simple suggestion: why don't we stick to devices that exist rather than hypothetical devices that don't exist. Does that not sound reasonable?

And btw, your comment regarding buying an iPad "thinking you'll use it, and realize later that you don't use it nearly enough to justify having another expensive device" can apply to anything you buy. So that comment is neither here nor there.

Here's Anadtech's take, a source you seem to value:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4225/the-ipad-2-review/1

"For several trips around the country I remember trying to take just the iPad, but I always needed to work on an article or publish something extensive while I was gone.[...] Eventually I just gave up completely and left the iPad at home.[...]These days my iPad sits docked at my desk doing nothing more than charging and receiving updates."

For people who do heavy typing, an iPad isn't the right device. Especially for a writer writing articles and publishing something extensive, as this writer wrote! Simple as that. But photographers aren't doing a lot of typing for their work.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX30 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow