Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,321
Re: get both

Jon Rty wrote:

I've got nothing against having multiple devices. But having multiple devices that overlap massively is inefficient.

Believe me, as someone who owns an iPad and a cell phone, I use them for very distinct things, and even though their is overlap, we must not ignore that there is even more things that they each respectively do well that justify their own existence. For example, your comment is like saying that a large car (like a minivan or an SUV) has two much overlap with a smaller, so you really shouldn't have the both of them. After all, there is considerable "overlap" in what they do, as automobiles. Nevertheless, having a two-car household, with one big car and one small car, certainly has its advantages.

Besides, carrying a cell phone and a 1.3lb iPad really isn't that much of a burden that you have to strip out the tablet so that it only works when you dock your cell phone!

With a iPad, you're committing at least 500$ for the device, and on top of that comes all dataplans and apps you want. With a dock, you buy a phone, and then you can decide if you want the comparably much cheaper accessory or not. Thus, the iPad has a much higher user lock-in. Now you pay at least 500 for something you can use only as such, and when it's old your only choice is to buy another one for 500. With a dock, you pay much less, and then you can at least update to the newer version of your phone, and keep using the dock with better hardware.

Yeah, with a dock, you pay a lot less. But you also essentially lose an independently-usable device! That's a false economy. A lot of times my wife uses my tablet, and I'm off doing something else. With the dock system, the tablet would be unusable when it wasn't docked with my phone.

The only scenario where the iPad would be cheaper or offer less user-locking is for users that do not want to own a smartphone.

If you're talking about cheap, yeah, your scenario is cheaper. But as I said earlier, you're also losing an independently-usable device. So cheaper isn't always better. Sometimes it's just cheaper. And the irony is that after living with this set-up, you may realize, hmmm, I really do want and need to independently usable devices! Then you go out and buy a tablet. And you end up spending more money than if you had just bought two independently usable devices to begin with! So a lot of times, going cheap doesn't really save you the money you think it will. It ends up being a false economy. Believe me, I've been through it plenty of times in my lifetime.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX30 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow