Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,321
Re: get both

PicOne wrote:

Then of course my earlier point.. I'd say 90% of posts that support the iPad for "Photography" reference its sharing/touchy abilities. Great, fine.. get an iPad for this if its worth it to you; especially combined with its e-Reader capabilities, GPS, games, etc.. it may offer a value proposition that makes sense. But as a 'tool' for photography itself.. for $1K first year ownership cost, for me it doesn't sell itself?

$1K can buy some great plugins, a Jobo device, and/or a Laptop. If you have a smartphone.. many of the apps still work well.
eg. Nik Complete Pkg for LR: $220
Acer Aspire Timeline X 1830: $670

First of all, many iPad owners already have these other things. We have our laptops, we have our plug-ins, we have our cell phone, we have our mass storage devices (I have a Superdigibin, not pictured below, and a cheap netbook that is only good for storage, haha, not pictured below either). Most photographers are already set with that kind of stuff. If you're a photographer who doesn't have any of this stuff, yes, get this stuff before buying an iPad.

Secondly, I have the 32GB wi-fi iPad. It's plenty for my needs. It was only $600, not $1000.

Thirdly, you can get a 32GB refurb first-gen iPad from Apple's only store for only $429!!! My friend bought a refurb iPad. All refurb models come with a brand new external shell, so you don't have to worry about any external scratches or anything. The outside is literally new. Secondly, the refurbs come with a hassle-free warranty. So if you're on a tight budget and are interested in an iPad, and don't really need the current model, a 32GB iPad from Apple's refurb store for only $429 is an awesome deal. Less than half of your "$1K first year ownership!"

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=MTM3Njc0MDU

And fourthly, given the amount of time I use my iPad, and how helpful it has been, I feel like the iPad has already paid for itself. When the iPad 3 comes out, I will probably get one. Or I may even get an iPad 2. Because my wife is constantly wanting to use my iPad, so I think it's a good idea we have two of them.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX30 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow