Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
David Hart Regular Member • Posts: 157
Laptop vs iPad

I just got back from a two week trip to Cancun. Prior to the trip I knew that my old laptop, a Dell 6400 with a 15" 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ display, was not going to cut it. It was just too heavy, had too little battery life, and the display is too dim.

I was considering between the iPad, MacBook Air/Pro, and the HP DM4T laptop. I needed something that would support SD cards, Compact FLash cards, photo library and editing programs plus support to upload to facebook, support for the MKV video format (I like to watch videos on the plane), has good battery life, and a nice bright display. I also wanted a built-in HDMI port so that I could play movies and show pictures when I visit family and friends.

I didn't care as much about being able to use it as a book reader as I already have a Kindle, which works great in bright sun. Since I have the latest gen Kindle, I also have the case the case that includes the built-in booklight so I can also use it to read at night without disturbing others.

I ended up buying the 4.5 lbs HP DM4T for $956. This was about $200 to $300 more than the iPad, about $300 less than a MacBook Pro, and about $800 less than a Macbook Air. Below are the specs:

dm4t
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-560M Dual Core Processor (2.66 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 6370 Switchable Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• No additional security software
• 50% OFF! One 6 Cell (standard) and One 9 Cell (over-sized) Lithium Ion Battery
• 14.0" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+ -R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision Webcam and Fingerprint Reader
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
• Standard Keyboard
• 25% OFF! HP Pavilion additional 90W AC Adapter
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

I did find that the LED display is off a little bit in the red spectrum and that the red levels need to be bumped up. What shows up as purple on my DELL 24" 2403 shows up as more of a dark blue, depending on the angle of the LED screen. I haven't been able to find the color controls to adjust the red levels, assuming that there is one.

This little laptop has been able to handle everything that I have thrown at it, from playing high-def MKV movies, video editing, and accessing email, facebook, etc. The only complaint that I have is that the sceen is glossy and reflects light. Other than that, the colors are bright and vibrant and the blacks are black.

My thought is that the iPad will gradually morph into a laptop replacement with USB, SD, and HDMI ports. Until then my travel solution will be the HP DM4T and my Kindle eReader.

Thanks,

David

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow