Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,320
Re: get both

It's also great when you get a phone call or need to make a phone call while your phone is in the docking station!

Seriously, though, I find no problem having a separate phone and a separate tablet or laptop. Sometimes you want to use the phone while using the tablet (or laptop). Or sometimes, you're in a meeting where someone else is viewing your tablet, and you can still use the phone to, say, read a text message, look something up on the web, or take a phone call. Or sometimes my wife is using the iPad, while I'm off doing something else. It would kind of suck if I had to leave my cell phone with her in order for her to use the tablet. There are plenty of instances where it's advantageous to have two separate devices...where both will continue to work when separated. Besides, with the combined weight of a cell phone and a tablet like the iPad already being significantly lighter than the portable computing devices we used to carry, I kind of doubt there are many people who look at an iPad and a cell phone and are saying, "Darn, that's a lot of weight and size! We need to combine the two somehow."

Whether you were talking about the Atrix or not, I just don't see a huge market for a device where you have to dock your phone to use your tablet or sub-laptop. That isn't to say that there isn't a niche for such a device. And as I said, I do think that it might be usable for traveling business people. But it seems like a tough sell because, for one thing, it's not an "open market" kind of product. In other words, first you have to commit to the phone. Then you decide if you want to add the dock. With the other devices in the market, you don't have to commit to a phone first. You're free to pick your phone independent of your tablet or sub-laptop dock. And are manufacturers going to make universal docking stations to work across brands of cell phones? Not likely.

Anyways, like I said, there are just a lot of advantages to having a separate phone and laptop and/or tablet. But I certainly applaud Motorola for trying something new.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX30 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow