Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: get both

Personally I see devices like the Motorola Atrix to be the way forward. If you've got a iPad, odds are that you've got a smartphone. And considering that the iPad uses the same internals with a different screen, then why not just have a screen and a battery, and connect that to your smartphone? That way you've got one dataplan, one sync, one app account, but still two screens, two batteries and what not. All the advantages without any of the disadvantages, at a much lower price. You'll get a device that's cheaper, thinner and lasts longer.

I'd rather not carry two separate devices with so much overlap.

T3 wrote:

I think the problem is that people keep thinking a lightweight, lighter-powered tablet like an iPad needs to compete with the power of a tablet computer. I don't need the iPad to do any heavy processing and heavy lifting. That's what I have my laptops and workstations for. What I need from my iPad is to have a beautiful screen, beautiful interface, gobs of battery life, be lightweight and slim enough for me to take everywhere, and for people (ie, my clients) to enjoy using it. Everything else besides that is just gravy. So by having a powerhouse computer and a slim, lightweight, battery-goes-forever device like an iPad, I can have the best of both worlds.

It's like people who wonder if they should get a 35mm lens or an 85mm lens. Get both! They serve two different purposes. Sure, they both happen to be lenses that focus images, but besides that they are quite different and fit different tasks. The same goes for a high-powered computer vs a light-weight tablet. Have both, and get the benefits of both. It's not a matter of "sacrificing". When I am out and about with my iPad, I don't see any "sacrificing". I value it for what it does well. And I use it as such.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow