Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
robogobo Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

This is obviously a heated topic, and it's no surprise that people want this to work- the iPad indeed has the potential to be the perfect photographer's field tool. It may actually come together soon, but it's really not there yet. I've been trying to use the iPad as a review and selection tool for almost a year, and while it's possible in some cases, the lack of stability and coherence among software and hardware is still the biggest obstacle. Too many hacks are necessary, and they don't always work. Many areas need to be refined, simplified and clarified by apple and the camera manufacturers before the iPad can be used as a serious tool. Hopefully they will realize there are thousands of users who view it as a tool and not a toy.

Personally, I don't need the iPad to be a raw processor. I think the muscle won't be there for several more generations. I do however want a simple and reliable viewer that can be tethered directly to a dslr wired or wirelessly, that can capture raw files, store them, and display a quick full res jpeg, whether that be one generated by the camera or by an app on the iPad, and then allow export via ftp, email, etc. That would solve 90% of my field problems. I think this is totally possible with today's hardware, iPad 1 or 2. It's just a matter of apple opening the cck up for third party access, and the camera manufacturers allowing direct ptp communication during capture mode so that photos can be transferred following each shot in real time.

I don't have time to mess with eyefi hacks, or wait for the built-in photos app to import and then import again into a third party app that may or may not crash and may or may not try to do way too much with a 25mb file beyond it's capabilities. I'll save the post processing for a more powerful machine. First things first. The iPad is a great tethered shooting tool, as long as we can lose the peripheral laptop/desktop. What's the point of a portable tablet when you need a less portable computer to make it function? Come on already- the decision between tool and toy lies within apple, canon, nikon and adobes hands. Or maybe someone younger with vision can figure out a way to show up the old boys and really do what needs to be done.

Crossing fingers.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow