Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,166
everything has shortcomings and strengths

princewolf wrote:

I never intended to offend anyone's convictions and I do apologize if I have done so. But here Barry and I are left on the defensive for criticizing Apple. Again, I have no judgement whether you spend your bucks on anything. But if I may, I will point out the shortcomings of a hardware as I see them. And the shortcoming in this case is that you can get tablet PCs that can do more or less the same work done. Yeah, in some you don't get auto orientation, or finger sweep zoom or all those features. But in my opinion it doesn't justify the price difference. If having this opinion leads to being lynched for not getting Apple, then so be it.

Everything has shortcomings. So what? If you look for the shortcomings in any product, you will find them. But you can't let that interfere with your ability to see its advantages, though.

As for Leica, please note I have inserted the word SOME but NOT ALL models. By the way I never owned a real Leica(I don't count the Pana-icas) If you build a Full Frame range-finder with an optical viewfinder in a tough package and better interface(where Leica does indeed need some improvement), AND make it cheaper, I'll buy from you I promise.

Yeah, but to say that a product like an iPad, which you probably have never even used, nor spent much of any time with, is just some marketing gimmick is simply foolish. Read my post earlier:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=38011158

I'm certainly not an Apple fanboy, as I have plenty of other devices that are clearly not Apple products. However, with an objective eye, and putting my money where my mouth is, I can evaluate a product for its merits (rather than based on ill-conceived prejudices) and make decisions based on both a product's strengths and weaknesses. And from first-hand experience, especially weighed against the many other devices I currently own, I can certainly say that the iPad's strengths easily outweigh its weaknesses. So much so that when the iPad 3 comes out, I will most likely buy one of those, too. And it's not because I am some mindless lemming that does whatever Steve Jobs commands. The fact is, it's a highly valuable product for me. And my wife enjoys using our iPad so much that I think it would be a good idea that we have two of them.

The other consideration that many people ignore is the apps ecosystem that supports the iPad. Right now, the apps ecosystem for the Android tablets is almost non-existent. And it will probably take at least a year for it to get up to speed (depending on how well these Android tablets sell). The apps market for the iPad, on the other hand, is already quite mature, and the apps being produced for this platform are excellent, and getting better every day. There are truly some amazing apps for the iPad! You can have the best hardware in the world, but if you don't have decent programs for it, you are no better off. In fact, you can easily be worse off. So while non-iPad users love to obsess about the minutiae of the hardware, they often completely ignore the very strong Apps ecosystem that is currently unequaled. Sure, the Android tablet apps will eventually get there (depending on how well the Android tablets sell), but they aren't anywhere close yet.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow