Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,166
"fairly limited tool" put into perspective

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Fair point but whatever the feelings it's beyond debate that as neat and nice as the Ipad is it's a fairly limited tool for photographers.

Fairly limited tool for photographers? Haha. Most of the things photographers buy are "fairly limited tool."

For example, I have a Canon 24mm TS-E. Price: $2000. I also have a Canon 45mm TS-E. Price: $1300. I also have a Canon 35/1.4L. Price: $1300. (See them below.) And that's just a fraction of the lenses I own. One can say that all these items are "fairly limited" in what they can do, even for photographers like myself who decided to buy them!

Last year I also bought a set of Pocket Wizard E-TTL transmitters. The MiniTT was $200. The FlexTT's were $220 each. I just added the ZoneController for $70. Total price: $710. And the thing doesn't even run any apps!!! Haha! And the truth is, I really don't get as much use out of the Pocket Wizards as I thought I would. It's something I only use once in a while. Especially now that the 60D also has built-in wireless E-TTL triggering. I don't regret buying them, but I accept that they are a very "fairly limited" tool.

The fact of the matter is that, out of all these items I listed above, none of them gets anywhere near as much use as my iPad. I use my iPad every day. I use to to show images to potential clients. I take it to shoots so I can show models and clients sample images and sample poses I want them to do. I use it to review images with my clients after I've processed them. You can even shoot to it wirelessly with an Eye-Fi card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lROinj2FrY

All these iPad uses far exceed the "fairly limited" photographic products I mentioned earlier. If I actually calculate the amount of use I get out of iPad, and weigh it against how much I paid for it, the iPad is actually a tremendous value. And it also helps me make money, too!!!

You also have to keep in mind that we used to put together hardcopy print portfolios that could easily cost in the hundreds of dollars back in the days before the iPad. And a portfolio book couldn't carry the hundreds of images that we now carry in our magazine-thin iPads. So we can also say that a hardcopy print portfolio was also something that was a "fairly limited tool" for photographers. I don't remember being able to run any apps on my portfolio book!

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow