Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

T3 wrote:

You're talking to people on a forum who spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on photography equipment, many of whom don't make a single dime off of these expenditures. Most people here choose and buy equipment for the sheer pleasure of using the equipment. And you're talking about "practical types?" Haha. And even more absurdly, your comment on "practical types" follows someone who just implied that things like $7,000 Leica cameras "deserve" to cost that much, while lambasting a $500-800 iPad as a product where "material value is far exceeded by the price." Huh? If anything, it's the Leicas whose "material value is far exceeded by the price"!!! If you want to talk about a cult of impractical types who buy objects whose "material value is far exceed by the price", take a look at Leicaphiles.

Fair point but whatever the feelings it's beyond debate that as neat and nice as the Ipad is it's a fairly limited tool for photographers.

The practical point is mainly in reference to the "non battery accessible" design on most of their products batteries wear out and it's little more than an obvious cash cow for the company.

As far as computers go price any desktop Mac up and I could build one better faster and cheaper using very high quality components with ease so could any system builder they just don't stack up computers wise. Don't get me wrong the OS is nice but it's a heavy price to pay when you should have more hardware choices at more reasonable prices. Just add a ram upgrade to a Mac at an Apple store and you'll see what I mean!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow