Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

princewolf wrote:

Steve Jobbs is a genius. But he is not an engineering genius. He's a marketing genius. Indeed, promoting such a low performance tool for such a price calls for some exquisite marketing skills, and Apple seems to have them. There are items that cost a lot but deserve them(like some Leica or Mamiya cameras-but not all), but in this case material value is far exceeded by the price. Still, I will never judge people on what they spend their money on, so if I offended some I apologize for that.

I agree they are masters of marketing.

PC builders will know from experience that an Apple computer is merely a PC in a nice case with an Apple OS and you pay so very much more for that their margins are massive.

But it works and Apple are good at that some see beyond the nice cases and sexy looks. Their products are not really that great they look "cool" people want them even the Ipod is nothing special as a music player but it's simple and trendy.

I admire their ability to wangle cash out of the consumer markets but in many cases the products are not really all that anyway. Practical types don't buy Apple

Unfortunately the web hype does not help as their products get undue coverage. We should not even be talking about the Ipad it's got nothing at all to do with photography.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow