Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Barney Britton
Barney Britton dpreview Admin • Posts: 427
Re: Toy, but not because of pixel density

BJN wrote:

The iPad would be cool if it could serve as a large, live view display for studio work

It can. There are several tethering and similar apps available, some of which are mentioned in the article.

if it could read memory cards and upload files to the web,

Again, it can. Both.

and if it didn't need to ultimately get tethered to a "real" computer to sync with iTunes and run updates.

This is annoying. I had hoped that Apple would have introduced wireless syncing by now.

It would be less of a toy if it could run Flash site content.

Honestly, I've used an iPhone for 3 years, never had a problem with not being able to see content. Those sites that matter to me have mobile-optimised content anyway. I've been using the iPad 2 for almost a week now and I haven't had a single issue with unavailable content.

If you have to carry a keyboard and a protective case to travel with the iPad and be functional, you'd be better off with a (more expensive but much more powerful) lightweight notebook computer.

Absolutely. On this we are agreed.

I wouldn't even use a notebook computer for any real image editing, so I'm not even slightly interested in iPad "photo" apps. If it could ever do the job that Nikon Camera Control does, I'd consider it a photo tool worth carrying.

It can, pretty much. Check this out: http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

-- hide signature --

Technical Writer
http://www.dpreview.com

Barney Britton's gear list:Barney Britton's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow