Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,083
Toy, but not because of pixel density

You don't need 300 ppi on a large display. You need enough apparent resolution to work with, and the iPad's display resolution is adequate for its size. Frankly, I don't consider anything smaller than 20" to be a very productive editing display area, but the display is not what makes the iPad a toy.

The iPad would be cool if it could serve as a large, live view display for studio work, if it could read memory cards and upload files to the web, and if it didn't need to ultimately get tethered to a "real" computer to sync with iTunes and run updates. It would be less of a toy if it could run Flash site content.

If you have to carry a keyboard and a protective case to travel with the iPad and be functional, you'd be better off with a (more expensive but much more powerful) lightweight notebook computer.

We just got an iPad and really enjoy using some cool, non photo-related apps. It's nice to be able to surf and read comfortably with a device that's reasonably compact and that comes to live nearly instantly. I wouldn't even use a notebook computer for any real image editing, so I'm not even slightly interested in iPad "photo" apps. If it could ever do the job that Nikon Camera Control does, I'd consider it a photo tool worth carrying.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow