Olympus WCON-07c on E-P1 kit lens - Sample Images

Started Mar 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
J R R S Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Olympus WCON-07c on E-P1 kit lens - Sample Images

I just got the WCON-07c and went out for a test run.... (I heard good stuff about this one over them all - and it was a full £200 lens normaly - I got it for £50)

Had to super glue a 40.5-52mm filter adaptor to the back of the WA lens to make it fit on my E-P1 kit lens....

This WCON-07c version has a baynet conection for use with (i think) Oly 5050? well my point being is this baynet conection (being olympus) the same as will fit on the front of new EPL2 kit lens?

Few things to note:

Super glue with loads of ventalation and absolute minimum possible layer of glue - you dont want fume depsots on the lens! - but do it like this and all will be ok!

Second: This lens is (way) too heavy for the kit focus motor!!!!

Don't use AF - you can use MF but you have to twist fastish as this fast turn engages full power to the focus motor rather than a little step... but you will still need to help it by either tilting the camera up or down depending on the direction!

I finaly thought sod it and just grab the lens and twist gently against the motor - As a normal old MF lens - it has a cutout function like a CD draw and won't burn out, also it is position aware so can not be set wrong if the motor loses step sync - but I do this at my own risk and don't advise it rather present it as a possibility! (one that makes this setup slighty usable in a faster way)...

So... nuff talk hear are the results:

This first one is as close as I could go flat on to the grass...

Landscape - note the fade out at the corners - If I file down the 40.5-52 convertor I could get the WA lens about 2mm closer to the front of the kit lens - this should remove all the fadeout... i hope emoticon - smile

Keeps the lines quite straight... not much distortion 8.5/10 for this i'de say

Another image testing the distortion - soft focus/slight shake on this one but it does not deture from the image objective!

Landscape...

The chap on the hill was only about 12m away! - this is 20mm equiv.

detailed lanscape

Nice CA and sharpness test shot... not beyond use with a slight crop - say a usable 22mm!

Over all I'm fairly happy - not a 9-18 replacement but am finding that the amount of use I would get from the 9-18 might be less than I first though - I did find myself coming back to the 28-84 equiv. range quit alot! - I think for the price it does work admaribly well and extend your range into an area you just cannot go without normaly shelling out £££.... If your not shaw about WA this is deffinatly somthing to try for just a few £ to see if you like it or would use it as much as you might think?!

The oly WCON-07 overall i'de say 6.5/10... not dissastrous... just not as good as you might wish - but what is eh

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow