$1800 Decision: 7D or Nikon D7000

Started Mar 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
D Alchemist Regular Member • Posts: 100
$1800 Decision: 7D or Nikon D7000

Sold all my gear last year. Bought a M4/3rds and not happy with small, dark viewfinder- shooting is a lot less pleasant/fun. So...

Looking at a new APS-C kit. Initially I will get either 7d w/18-135mm or D7000 w/18-200. Same exact price- $1800. Always owned Nikon (20 years) largely because of lens choice and ergonomics. But I've got a couple kids now and video is becoming important.

Uses: Travel, family, landscapes, kids sports (outdoors). Likely future lenses for Canon/Nikon:
Sports: Tamron 70-300/Nikon 70-300
Low light: 35mm f2/ 35mm f1.8
Ultra wide: Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6 for either
Flash: Smaller with tilt/swivel & wireless

I've handled both. Prefer the handling of the D7 (especially grip) but have a slight preference for each of the Nikon lenses over the equivalent for the D7. The 70-200 f/4 is a neat lens that might sway me but 3X the price of the Tamron and I'll need a TC to reach the middle of a soccer field.

So, video mode, build & handling in Canon's favor (all short term, body-based advantages); lens choice, flash performance & lens quality in Nikon's (longer term advantages- change bodies much more frequently than lenses. Photozone puts each of these lens options slightly in Nikon's favor). It's a tossup and I would tend to lean to what I've liked in the past.

Please convince me to join the Canon dark side!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow