Enabling "Servo" mode on Metz 48 AF-1....

Started Feb 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Catalana Senior Member • Posts: 1,259
Enabling "Servo" mode on Metz 48 AF-1....

I just got done updating firmware version 3.0 for my Metz 48 AF-1 but found little to no information on how to enable it. I guess "Metz" is a bit behind :-). Anyway, I went ahead and played with the buttons and finally figured it out. It is a great feature, so I decided to put together a small "how-to" for all the other Metz 48 AF-1 owners...

The first image shows how to enter the slave mode by repeatedly and simultaneously pressing both - and + keys as the SELECT function.

Then pressing the + key actually enables the slave mode. At this point you'd have wireless P-TTL enabled (provided you have synced the channel between camera and flash).

A further press of the + key puts the flash into M (Manual) mode. This the "Servo" mode. You can now use the "built-in" camera flash to trigger the Metz 48 AF-1 with pre-flash suppression. Output strength of the flash is incrementally controlled via the + and - keys (once the display has settled). You can use your built-in flash in Standard/Red-Eye Reduction/Slow/Rear Curtain and Wieless modes. When setting the flash parameter to Wireless, you are still shooting "manually".

One of the first things I did, was to test the Servo mode using "Rear Curtain Shutter Sync" at a slow shutter speed because the delay between the pre-flash and the real flash is quite obvious. (Note the slight trailing blur of the green LED). Oops, it didn't seem to work at 1/2 sec. Hmmmm....

I ran a gamut of small tests and found out, that the slowest "Rear Curtain" speed is 1/10 sec. Below that it does not trigger. I would be interested to see if someone can verify this! All other "legal" modes seem to work as advertised.

I hope this was informative and if anyone wants to add or correct things, please go ahead.
Cheers

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow