Is the 7D worth >$500 more than the 60D?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,327
pretty sure the 60D can handle that too

Snafte wrote:

I have the 7D and have used the 60D a lot... I can honestly say it is worth the extra money! weather proofing is vitally important for me as i spend a lot of time on the water and in average conditions. I did a hike with 7D and a 24-105mm F4 L and the camera got drenched in a down pour, and is yet to miss a beat!

I don't know if anyone has actually tested the difference in weather sealing between the 7D and 60D, but the seal diagrams for both cameras seem fairly comparable (see below). But speaking from personal experience, I've used my 60D out in the rain, it got thoroughly soaked, and it has yet to "miss a beat" too.

Plus, even a lowly 550D can take quite a lot of abuse and a decent soaking. Digital Rev did a torture test of the 550D (and D90) in which they:

...poured a full cup of hot tea on the camera...twice! And the 550D continued to work just fine:

Then they proceeded to:

...tie them to the bottom of shoes and walking around with them:

...hammer nails with them:

...kick a soccer ball at them while they are mounted on a tripod so they come crashing onto the concrete below:

...take a blow torch to them:

...drop a PC on them:

And after all this abuse, the cameras survived, and the testers took these cameras out to shoot some photos...on a rainy day, no less!

And keep in mind that these are cheaper, lower level bodies than the 60D, less sealing, using a cheaper grade of plastic and lower level of build quality!

See video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzsXeXCwuc&feature=player_embedded

My point is that todays' cameras can endure a lot more than most people seem to think they can.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX30 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AE1
T3
AE1
AE1
T3
T3
tko
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow