Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
VLampa Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: Olympus imaging is hardly a failure

erichK wrote:

I bought my OM-1 in 1973, and the last OM-3Ti came of the assembly line almost thirty years later. That is hardly a failure or a premature abandonment. We must credit that camera with fundamentally transforming the slr type of camera,

I have utmost respect for the OM-1 (well, I respect any Maitani design, really), though let us agree that times today are totally different, as with the people who are in charge of Olympus in recent years. We tend to think that whoever is put in charge of a company matters not, because previous company track record will tell how prone a company is to abandone a line, etc., but that mostly boils down to who is in charge of running a company, not the company itself.

With dslrs, Olympus has, again, introduced fundamental changes to really effective dustbusters, better weather sealing -again- smaller cameras- and Live View. Commercial realities have forced them to place most of their resources with another industry-shaking innovation, true EVIL cameras.

Yup, it's quite annoying that Olympus is given less credit for some of the features we now take for granted in most interchangeable-lens cameras today.

Ricoh, Konica, Yashica, Contax, Kodak, Minolta and other smaller brands did, indeed, give up. Olympus coninues to put up a pretty impressive fight to retain a place in serious photography.

Of those listed, Ricoh is still alive and humming. Yes, they don't have immense market share, but they never seemed to plan to move out of their niche status anyway. And yes, they're still putting in time and money to make cameras for photographers.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow