Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
VLampa Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

pseudothomasmerton wrote:

I'm so glad you brought that up, because that was a HUGE mistake, and they need to get right back into the thick of things, pronto. The E-620, even now, is a jewel of a little camera, and as far as I'm concerned, still beats the pants off everything else out there in it's size/price range. Abandoning it after one iteration is complete lunacy.

Agreed.

As for the E-30, that has to be the worst selling DSLR in history. It didn't help that Olympus priced it like the E-3 when it first came out, a lot of people were scared away by it's cost. It's a wonderful camera, but only if you pay $800 for one.

That camera can stay dead, unless Oly can figure out how to price things correctly.

I doubt Olympus has the economies of scale working in their favor to price their offerings lower, unless they adopt the mentality that accessories and lenses are where the money's at, and not bodies. We'll see if this new head honcho can figure that out.

But here's what I'd do now:

HIGH-END: E-5, and it's eventual replacement, which needs to come in 12 to 18 months, not three years...

Yes please. Remains to be seen if Panasonic will give them access to their new sensor, though. It increasingly looks like Panasonic is content with keeping Olympus stuck with the same 12MP-er Panasonic uses for their lower-class models.

LOW-END 1: An updated E-620, with the same TruePic V+ and IQ enhancements of the E-5. They wouldn't even have to replace the sensor, just give users the E-5 IQ in an E-620 package and they'd sell like hotcakes

Price would be crucial in this case, especially now that all entry-level DSLRs from other makers except Pentax have flip screens. Of course, I'm reading that you plan for this to be a DSLR. I'm not at all privy to actual E-620 camera sales, but I'm guessing they didn't sell like pancakes (due to a lack of marketing, price, etc.), so something else has to change for your proposed updated E-620 to sell as such.

LOW-END 2: Bring back the well loved 500 series body, and do the same thing: put the 12 mp True-Pic V+ in it, and upgrade the focusing and VF. A camera like that would have a huge following! There are a lot of folks, even pro's, who really liked the 500 series, and would certainly go for an upgraded model if they can price it anywhere near being competitive.

I'm guessing this would be the equivalent of Canon's 1xxxD models? I'm not sure how popular the E-500 was, really, so I have my own personal doubts about the projected following for this camera you speak of. Perhaps E-500 owners can enlighten me regarding this model?

Then, just like in the days of the E-410, E-510 and E-3, you have three bodies with identical IQ, but now your paying for features. Canon is doing that same thing very successfully with that 18 mp sensor of theirs, and putting in anything with an EOS mount.

I see the sealing differentiating the pro model. How will the other two sort themselves out? IS vs. no-IS and flip screen vs. none?

However...another possible scenario, now that most of the E-620's and E-30's are gone of the dealer's shelves, is to bring in a mirrorless replacement for those two along the lines of the Sony SLT's. Keep the 4/3 mount of course.

In regards to micro 4/3, make the E_PLx the low-end, tweak the E-Px to serve the mid-range, and bring out a new camera with built-in EVF and all that to be a worthy competitor to the GH2.

For the compacts, keep the XZ-1, the Toughs, the superzooms, and get rid of everything else. Find a way to make a Tough superzoom, and a Tough XZ-1....that's a niche they need to exploit forcefully. Even if they could only make a weather/dust sealed superzoom, that would be something.

I agree. Olympus looks to have slacked off some on their strength as a tough digicam maker, as well as a fine superzoom maker, and now Fuji, Panasonic, Canon, and Pentax have been eroding away at Olympus' lead in those areas (with Nikon in hot pursuit in the superzoom market).

Hence, that's what Olympus needs to do: reposition the Pens as a high-level point & shoot, and drop the ridiculous notion that they are DSLR replacements, because in the minds of 95% of the consumers in the west, they are just oversized P&S with interchangeable lenses.

How do I know this would work? Because that's pretty much what Sony has done with their NEX series, and people are getting the message loud and clear. Unlike Olympus, Sony is very happily selling DSLR's right along with the NEX's, and taking money from both crowds.

Sony can afford to market NEX as a P&S replacement because their SLR/SLT line is still active and current. Olympus seems to have put all their eggs in the m4/3 basket (with only an E-5 as the lone new 4/3 development and no 4/3 lenses being developed lately - at least, as far as I know), so they have to make the proposition to consumers that m4/3 can replace both DSLRs and high-end compacts (and pro-level DSLRs, if rumors come true that a pro-level m4/3 will come later this year).

And rumor has it when Nikon introduces their mirrorless line, it will fall under the "CoolPix" name, which is exactly where it should be. Nikon and Sony are not going to be as stupid as Olympus. They know that it's the upgrading p&s users who are the target audience, not the DSLR enthusiasts.

Good marketing move, really (again, they have the benefit of having concurrent DSLR lines). Pros know enough to look at review sites and other resources when considering mirrorless systems to complement their main workhorses, so they don't need to be marketed to.

My 2 cents.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow