Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
pseudothomasmerton Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Perhaps the biggest blunder in product history was their first introducing the E-30 and E-620 in 2009, then arrogantly announcing they were walking away from both just one year later without any replacement in sight. It amazes me Terada is still treated with respect; like Wagner with GM, he owns the loss of market share his crap shoot resulted in and should be canned.

I'm so glad you brought that up, because that was a HUGE mistake, and they need to get right back into the thick of things, pronto. The E-620, even now, is a jewel of a little camera, and as far as I'm concerned, still beats the pants off everything else out there in it's size/price range. Abandoning it after one iteration is complete lunacy.

As for the E-30, that has to be the worst selling DSLR in history. It didn't help that Olympus priced it like the E-3 when it first came out, a lot of people were scared away by it's cost. It's a wonderful camera, but only if you pay $800 for one.

That camera can stay dead, unless Oly can figure out how to price things correctly.

To think, they could have had a full 4/3's line upgraded to Truepic 5, HD video, flip 3" OLED's and the best 3 tiered lens system on the market, an mFT line including the E-PL2, a G2 equivalent (built-in EVF, flip 3" LCD) and a GH equivalent, and a compact line anchored by the XZ-1, new SZ-10 slim superzoom, new VR-330 compact superzoom and VG-110/120 affordable compacts.

You are so right about that. But I would return to the strategy that they used back in 2007, two low-end cameras and one high-end, just like the glory days of the E-410, E-510 and E-3.

But here's what I'd do now:

HIGH-END: E-5, and it's eventual replacement, which needs to come in 12 to 18 months, not three years...

LOW-END 1: An updated E-620, with the same TruePic V+ and IQ enhancements of the E-5. They wouldn't even have to replace the sensor, just give users the E-5 IQ in an E-620 package and they'd sell like hotcakes

LOW-END 2: Bring back the well loved 500 series body, and do the same thing: put the 12 mp True-Pic V+ in it, and upgrade the focusing and VF. A camera like that would have a huge following! There are a lot of folks, even pro's, who really liked the 500 series, and would certainly go for an upgraded model if they can price it anywhere near being competitive.

Then, just like in the days of the E-410, E-510 and E-3, you have three bodies with identical IQ, but now your paying for features. Canon is doing that same thing very successfully with that 18 mp sensor of theirs, and putting in anything with an EOS mount.

However...another possible scenario, now that most of the E-620's and E-30's are gone of the dealer's shelves, is to bring in a mirrorless replacement for those two along the lines of the Sony SLT's. Keep the 4/3 mount of course.

In regards to micro 4/3, make the E_PLx the low-end, tweak the E-Px to serve the mid-range, and bring out a new camera with built-in EVF and all that to be a worthy competitor to the GH2.

For the compacts, keep the XZ-1, the Toughs, the superzooms, and get rid of everything else. Find a way to make a Tough superzoom, and a Tough XZ-1....that's a niche they need to exploit forcefully. Even if they could only make a weather/dust sealed superzoom, that would be something.

With a line like that and some Apple quality advertising one can only wonder how much better shape they could be in today instead of their present position of standing on the ledge.

Totally agree.

This new guy had better be a miracle worker rather than the hatchet man I fear he'll turn out to be.

Bringing some mid-level manger out of the backwoods, who only has to manage costs, and then dumping him into HQ and having to mange PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT is going to be a rude wake-up call. Olympus needs a Steve Jobs, not a downsizer. The bean counter types only serve to wreck a company further. You need creative energy and strategic thinking at the top, not a financial expert--leave that garbage to the staff.

A word about micro 4/3, and it's lackluster showing in North America and Europe....

While I don't have any hard evidence, it appears buyers are equating the Pens with Canon G12's and Lumix LX5's, not with entry level DSLR's. They haven't done a darn thing to dent DSLR sales anywhere on earth, despite a few brave souls who have donned their Canon 5D Mk II's for an EP-2.

Hence, that's what Olympus needs to do: reposition the Pens as a high-level point & shoot, and drop the ridiculous notion that they are DSLR replacements, because in the minds of 95% of the consumers in the west, they are just oversized P&S with interchangeable lenses.

How do I know this would work? Because that's pretty much what Sony has done with their NEX series, and people are getting the message loud and clear. Unlike Olympus, Sony is very happily selling DSLR's right along with the NEX's, and taking money from both crowds.

And rumor has it when Nikon introduces their mirrorless line, it will fall under the "CoolPix" name, which is exactly where it should be. Nikon and Sony are not going to be as stupid as Olympus. They know that it's the upgrading p&s users who are the target audience, not the DSLR enthusiasts.

If the new guy at the helm of Oly has enough brain power to figure this out, and gets Oly back in the DSLR game, even as a niche player, they will be well served.

But if he goes along with the nonsense coming out of Japan that 400, 500 and 600 series DSLR users are better off buying an E-PL2, then Olympus Imaging will be doomed for sure.

-- hide signature --

pseudo thomas merton

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow