Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP Pedal2Floor Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
Regarding costs...

I agree, as a small player they cannot compete on costs alone.

The company I work for is in that same boat.

However, if you are going to charge more you better have something more. I even look at Apple and where they came from versus where they are today.

Unique and innovative products and services that make people want to spend that extra money.

What Olympus offered was NOT compelling enough and not innovative enough.

m43 was a game changer and convered a lot of people to m43 -- HOWEVER, not 4/3s. I would have gladly payed more however Oly was never up to spec against C&N.

m43 has a real chance, but they have had both marketing and product line flubs. The naming is a problem and causes confusion. They are too late in getting HG and SHG m43 glass and Panasonic is eating their lunch in some segments.

If you cannot compete in price, you need to have better quallity, service and features to bring people. There are things that Oly has that I love which is why I have choosen that brand, but it is not enough compared to the competition.

Sure, the E-5 may not be able to go down, but its specs compete with older products and do not advance against the competition and when we get the next gen Nikon D400, then what do you say if you have no response?

Sure the economy, but they did not hedge correctly so fire the CFO too.

Honestly, in many ways they have chased their tails with no laser focus.

Pedal2Floor's gear list:Pedal2Floor's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow