Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: About one of the few if not the first I see that notices...

Dan wrote:

Rriley,

"you cant market hardware that you dont have"

of course you can't but you can market what you do have! You also have to give your "sellers" an incentive to push your gear! Be it trips or refunds or whatever!

you push market, but you pull inventory, bit of a dichotomy. I can agree marketing are a problem in the sense of how they manage their sales operations (or dont as the case may be), but there were always hardware holes in the system that never seemed to be filled, and now probably wont be.

The US camera stores just didn't push the great Olympus stuff hard enough and obviously had no incentive to do so. Either their profits were going to be too slim or just bad information sharing on Oly's part.

not enough product to go around I would think. This is true to many major brand cameras here too, they just do not have the entirety of the model range for you to handle, in that it really isnt any different, although the selection of gear is widely different

Very few stores even carried any of the HG or upper cameras when Olympus was doing better and now nothing.

Maybe Olympus is going to pull the rabbit out of the hat but even that is going to be an even harder sell now...by rabbit Thom does mention larger sensor but if it doesn't take existing lens who's gonna buy it knowing Olympus very recent withdrawal from the 4/3rds line?

thats a big maybe

if Woodford can release them from their own management, they have a chance. But he has to be able to see or envisage a future product to give that a pass. Looking at his credentials Im not sure I see that skill set

Anyhow, time will tell...Dan

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow