Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,172
Re: What Olympus can do at this point....

pseudothomasmerton wrote:

As bad as things look for Olympus Imaging, and despite the fact that they have not yet bottomed out, there are still a few things they can do to get back in the game....but they' don't have time on their side.

if they don't execute by the end of 2011, they are going to be history.

That's about how I am seeing it. I don't think they will vanish in 24 hours, but at that point the amount of catchup to do would be so big that they will fade out over time.

First, they need to get a low-high-mid range of micro 4/3 camera bodies in place. The low-end could be as simple as a micro 4/3 body with a fixed 17mm lens that sells for $299. On the high end, Olympus needs a body to compete with the GH2.

I have to admit to you I never saw the point of making more four thirds bodies now, at this point, after going micro but who knows. Given drastic change needs to happen that could be a reversal. If the lenses could be sold and make profit for.

Secondly, they really, really need to get back into regular 4/3, and find a way to serve all those customers they've abandoned before they are gone for good. Getting out another mid-level DSLR in the E-620 size & price range is a must, as is video integration....even if they do something as stupid as put the guts of the E-PL2 into an E-620 body, just like they put the guts of the E-PL1 inside the E-3 and called it an E-5.

While I would have thought that was pointless now I am not sure. But I would think Olympus has enough data to have made a reasonable call on that end. Maybe having just the high end body and the more modest one would do.

Third, the users are clamoring for small, high quality prime lenses from Olympus that can compete head-on with the Panasonic 20mm. So start bringing out small, light weight, high quality primes that can compete.

I think this is happening (on micro four thirds).

Fourth, get rid of the stupid 12mp sensor already. Buy a 16 mp APS sensor from Sony if you have to, but find something, anything, that is better than that stupid Panasonic sensor. They need to find a way to get to 16 mp in a hurry, without taking a hit on ISO performance. Easier said than done, I'm afraid.

I am more and more convinced at this point Olympus engineer's hands were tied to some contractual thing. Either Olympus was forced to buy sensors from Panasonic for a time, or such. I expect that to change this year.

-- hide signature --

As nice as the little E-PL2 might be, I think Olympus royally screwed-up by NOT putting the True-Pic V+ processor used in the E-5 into that model. That would have at least created a difference in IQ you could actually see, rather than just putting the guts of the E-PL1 into a prettier package. It would have cost them NOTHING to do this, as they have the stupid thing in production for the E-5 anyway. But no, they couldn't give the entry level guy the ability to get photos as good as the flagship, even though Canon has no problem sticking their silly 18 mp sensor into just about anything above the G12 in their product line.

Well.. it's a good question. I can understand they need product differentiation so if there is a more higher end Pen coming up, they will have to segregate the lines like that. But again, I am not so sure anymore as far as... considering how things are going.

My hope and faith in Olympus is quickly waning -- they are not showing us anything that would light a fire under their existing customer base, rather they seem intent on boring them to death.

I think there's a lot of useful data that only Olympus has access too (and their dealers). I understand what you are saying and maybe that's how it is, but not sure. It would be hard to think they didn't try to at least guesstimate a bit better given the extra data they may have.

Just like you wonder about the Turbo PIC V+ on the Pen, I wonder about a 620 with the same AAless and processor of the E-5. Autofocus and overall camera speed + build separates them enough still.

-- hide signature --

pseudo thomas merton

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow