Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,324
Re: Samsung doens't count

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Olympus is already behind Panasonic and Sony in market share for the "Micro" segment in Japan. They are still ahead of Samsung, however.

I'm not sure where you got this stat.

Going over BCN Ranking data shows the non-presence of Samsung, but there must be at least one nutter in Japan who imported an NX.

Samsung doesn't count because it's nearly impossible to find a Samsung camera in Japan, the same it's impossible to find a Hyundai automobile. I don't know if this is due to government policy, or pressure on retailers from Japanese corporations, but their is little competition from Korean brands in areas in which Japan traditionally dominated, or areas essential to Japan's economic well being . It is changing a little bit though. There are LG Blurays popping up and Samsung cell phones, but these are products that fill gaps (Japanese makers push higher end HD recorders not lower end disc players, and cell phone makers don't push smartphones but old school flip phones with Japan friendly features).

I am aware of the historical rivalry (to put it nicely) with Korea. What is surprising is Japan's general acceptance of China's growing dominance in many areas (even the E-5 is made in China).

My youngest brother lives in Japan, and understands the social and business culture fairly well.

So,...that means Olympus is dead last.

Only if you ignore the handful of Samsung NX owners that are likely to be found somewhere.

Globally, I'm fairly sure that Olympus' Micro Four Thirds would out-sell the NX system, so I think it's reasonable to say that they are third out of four. Soon they'll be fifth out of six, but if Pentax enter the market they may be able to beat them in sales share -- so a year's end fifth place out of seven?

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow