Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: 4/3's is pretty much finished in Japan.

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

I walked into LABI Denki in Osaka the other day. The LABI stores are the big city flagship stores set up by the nationwide Yamada Denki chain to compete with the likes of Yodobashi camera.

LABI in Osaka no longer carry 4/3's lenses.

They only have Micro 4/3's in the display case.

It's been gone from the chain shops (Yamada, Joshin, Midori) for some time. The odd shop might still have a left over E-620 or two.

Used shops are filled with lenses they can't get rid of.

I still use and enjoy my E-PL1 and hope they do well with that format, but I'm not to confident. I have to agree that they really screwed things up with the rapid fire, similarly named releases.

In fact, it's even more confusing here in Japan because they've also just released the new E-PL1s.
http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/epl1s/index.html

Why they released a modified E-PL1 while most store still stock the original, at the same time they announced the new E-PL2 is mind boggling.

yes they have taken to this stratified marketing approach whereby essentially very similar models gain some ground due to the free press provided for new releases, but it seems to stall beyond that

It wouldn't surprise me if Olympus go the way of Kyocera. They made great cameras, particularly the Contax braded ones. And now they still make great knives (they are, after all, the KYOto CERAmic company).

the loss of Contax was an unforgivable tragedy

http://www.kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF 50mm f1.4, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL1, 9-18mm, 17mm, & FL-36R.
Canon PowerShot TX1
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow