Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

boggis the cat wrote:

If you can make good use of an E-5 then it is a worthwhile purchase. We don't know if or when there will be an E-7, or a high-end Micro body to take the place of the E-x line. We only know that Olympus have stated that there will always be a body available to complement the SHG lenses.

Unidentified mock-ups seem to be the "in" thing at the moment, with lots of manufacturers presenting them. I guess the idea is to assure the customers that they are doing something.

car makers use this as a publicity tool, 'this is us flexing our design skills'. While its not traditional for camera makers, I can point to a few instances were I think theyve been fishing for comment. This tells me they dont know much about their market and are undecided about where to go (not Oly specific) Someone needs to tell them they need to make cameras for photographers

Nikon and Canon are rumoured to be introducing their systems early this year, as is Pentax.

Im really iffy about Canon doing this, OTOH theyre suffering as the top selling model has shrunk from near 20% share to nearer 13%. Guess where its gone

The biggest thing Oly can do to help right the ship and stop the water from leaking in the bowels is to SAY SOMETHING. We don't need a full page ad in every magazine saying how great the E-PL whatever is. We need to hear what the FUTURE IS.

I am not convinced anyone in the "Micro" market really knows much about their customer base or what they want. It appears that all of the companies are simply duplicating their standard Four Thirds / APS systems in the smaller format.

They are right to get a torture expert in there to sort this mess out, not sure they have the right guy though. OTOH knowing nothing can be an asset, maybe this guy will be tempted to seek advice on the ground in the Asia, US and Europe to see how its working for them, how its not, and what can be done.

In the ponderences over E5 before release most people could see that Pen sensor and fixing E3 issues would make a lot of 'us' happy, broadly within the usual limits thats turned out to be so

There is too little to differentiate the mirrorless market from standard Four Thirds / APS. The systems have the same sensor size and image quality capability, but with poorer telephoto zooms (presumably to keep the size and weight down).

worse than that, a more capable micro will also be bigger, possibly breaking past the 420. What is the point of micro like that? why are they doing this again ?

There is still a case for SLR or SLT, there are things they can do to rejoin the market with a revitalised 4/3rds, and not requiring of 4 body types to do that. Remember Hogan was one of the people hinting at Super 4/3rds, personally I have thought that the way to go for some time. This puts us at no disadvantage in performance to APSC yet differentiates against micro, and with Pen electronics can be satisfyingly compact. SLRs (SLTs) are about control and performance, these are doable things.

Add those few well discussed lenses and the system has a lot fewer holes in it

Olympus almost certainly don't have much of a plan, aside from somehow merging their Micro and standard systems. If they came out and said "We don't really have any direction or have much of an understanding of the market as a whole" then this would probably be worse than saying nothing. Note that Canon and Nikon prefer to keep quiet, too.

Nikon want to keep in step with Canon, its simply easier to market that way against an obvious opponent. Problem they have is they see the market fragmenting and each year they are losing share, along with Canon. Canon OTOH still have the highest selling models, albeit with a lot less share. Canon dont want to give that up on a maybe. They both want to arrest the slide but might have problems assessing who the 'other' competitor is. If they get it in their heads that its Panasonic they will do it.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow