Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,324
Re: Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

daleeight wrote:

I want an E-5. Is that the last big 4/3? Will there be a 14 or 16mp "version" some day? Is the new "high end" mockup of a micro lens a marketing ploy to hold interest and hope, or will it drag on till next year? If it does, who will catch-up and pass Oly? Panny? Sony?

If you can make good use of an E-5 then it is a worthwhile purchase. We don't know if or when there will be an E-7, or a high-end Micro body to take the place of the E-x line. We only know that Olympus have stated that there will always be a body available to complement the SHG lenses.

Unidentified mock-ups seem to be the "in" thing at the moment, with lots of manufacturers presenting them. I guess the idea is to assure the customers that they are doing something.

Olympus is already behind Panasonic and Sony in market share for the "Micro" segment in Japan. They are still ahead of Samsung, however.

People seem to think the money and demand is in micro. I don't, but I'm not a big corporation CEO. If the demand and interest is there, I'd think Canon and Nikon would be there, or well on their way. I don't hear any Canon or Nikon rumours on a mirror-less system. Why not? A fad? A limited market?

Nikon and Canon are rumoured to be introducing their systems early this year, as is Pentax.

The biggest thing Oly can do to help right the ship and stop the water from leaking in the bowels is to SAY SOMETHING. We don't need a full page ad in every magazine saying how great the E-PL whatever is. We need to hear what the FUTURE IS.

I am not convinced anyone in the "Micro" market really knows much about their customer base or what they want. It appears that all of the companies are simply duplicating their standard Four Thirds / APS systems in the smaller format.

There is too little to differentiate the mirrorless market from standard Four Thirds / APS. The systems have the same sensor size and image quality capability, but with poorer telephoto zooms (presumably to keep the size and weight down).

And no one on here knows, because they haven't said. They ditched people before, and seem poised to do it again. And what happens when micro isn't quite awesome? More ditches?

Olympus almost certainly don't have much of a plan, aside from somehow merging their Micro and standard systems. If they came out and said "We don't really have any direction or have much of an understanding of the market as a whole" then this would probably be worse than saying nothing. Note that Canon and Nikon prefer to keep quiet, too.

Sales figures on the Micro kits and separate lenses would be interesting to see. From that you should be able to tell if people are using the Micro system as a system or just as a high-quality compact replacement.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow