Anyone been following this article/thread on Oly?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Pete_CSCS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
Hi Jim,

jim stirling wrote:

Pete_CSCS wrote:

I don't understand why Olympus hasn't come out with a micro flagship cam yet. When micro was announced, I thought Olympus would be working on the high end of m4/3rds and Panasonic on the lower end. Instead it's the opposite. Panasonic seems to be calling the shots.

Hi Pete,

I think that a micro flagship from Olympus could be a real winner, especially if they produce a couple of good quality lenses {a definite Olympus strength} and a better level of AF and functionality for FT lenses would attract a lot of potential users.

I really do like mFT and have bought into it with a GF1 and GH2 but overall the lenses are pretty mediocre with typically slow zooms dominating the releases. I think this is a key area on which Olympus could differentiate itself from Panasonic who seem to have been doing most of the driving in mFT.
Jim

That's what I mean. Panasonic comes out with their 20 mm f/1.7 lens and Olympus is replicating their standard grade lenses aiming for the non-pro consumer.

With Nikon and Canon not in the picture yet and Sony and Samsung behind in total system development, Olympus has the chance to set the standard in making a top-of-the-line micro cam to appeal to the pros.

The E-1 / E-3 / E-5 apparently didn't draw pros away from C/N but now Olympus has another chance to set the standard with a pro micro body and SHG micro lenses. The pros would love it if Olympus doesn't drag their heels and gets it on the shelves soon!
--
'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow