X100 at $1200 (SRP): Is it worth the price?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fujifilm Finepix F30 Regular Member • Posts: 199
X100 at $1200 (SRP): Is it worth the price?

I love everything about the X100: Fixed 35mm equivalent lens... bright F2.0 maximum aperture... large APS-C sensor... HD video... Optical viewfinder... projected dSLR-like image quality in both bright and low light... gorgeous, 'retro' styling and looks... manual controls, all of it! It is my dream 'compact/carry anywhere' camera replacement for my antiquated F30.

One thing is holding me though... the price. Dpreview states the SRP for the X100 is $1200... While I can certainly afford it, this price seems exorbitant in my opinion and outright ridiculous when compared to the launching price of the new mirrorless cameras. The Sony Nex-5 with its pancake kit lens for instance was only $699 at launching... A fixed lens X100 at $1200 simply looks like 'highway robbery'! The highly acclaimed 'best in class' Canon EOS 550d dSLR with its kit lens only costed $899 during launching and it is not exactly what one would consider as a 'cheap', 'mediocre' entry level dSLR. The X100 is by no means a 'Leica'. I can understand 'Leica's' exorbitant prices. People are buying Leica more for prestige than performance and function. But Fuji? I don't think many people will be buying it for 'brand prestige' than for performance and function despite the X100's 'luxurious' looks as the 'Fuji' name traditionally isn't associated with a 'luxury' brand. 'Leica' = 'Audi' while 'Fuji' = 'Toyota'... What was Fuji thinking? They are killing the baby before it is born!

What do you think?

Don

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow