14 bit lossless compressed?
Analysing RAW files from the D7000 that can be downloaded from the net, I found that the 14 bit ones are lossy compressed even though the metadata indicate lossless. Comparisons of picture histograms show that the possible RAW values are reduced at high ISO.
All the files are lossless as seen in the metadata e.g.:
ISO 6400 histogram clearly shows the missing values using ISO 100 as a reference:
Finally a count of the existing values in every channel (red, green, green, blue) show how they initially grow due to the noise, and that they start to decline after ISO 1000 and down to 1/6 of the ISO 100 figures.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%