Freaky detail Photoshop action

Started Feb 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tonyswash Regular Member • Posts: 195
Freaky detail Photoshop action

I just watched the latest edition of Photoshop TV and a guy called Calvin Hollywood demonstrated a really amazingly effective way to bring out what he described as "freaky detail" in your image without sharpening halos. I was very impressed with the results its gives.

I have created a Photoshop action that does the "freaky Detail" enhancement and it is available here

http://tonyswash.com/FreakyDetail.atn.zip

When you run the action you end up with a layer group called Freaky Detail above an untouched background layer so you can change the opacity for this group to control over all effect, it all has a mask already added so you paint the effect in or out for specific areas of your image. The key step in the action is the application of a Surface Blur to one of the layers in the group and this filter is saved as a smart filter so you can change the settings in the Surface Blur to control the intensity of the sharpening. I have preset the Surface Blue to where I think it produces the best result but you can adjust to suit.

The surface Blur stage of the action can time a little while to complet depending on the speed of your computer, be patient.

I hope this is useful, feedback welcome.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow