Pany G2, Canon G12 or Oly XZ-1?

Started Jan 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FlamingJune1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Pany G2, Canon G12 or Oly XZ-1?

I have been studying camera reviews and reading this forum for a month now. I sure could use some help.

I am a former Fugifilm F30 user (it died) who recently developed an interest in photography. I'm not wanting to get too seriously into it, but I do want to learn to take better photos of my children and vacations etc. So, I bought a couple of books... did some research... and bought one of the best reviewed cameras on amazon - The Panasonic zs-7. What a disappointment! The image quality wasn't nearly as good as my f30, especially when used inside. That is what started me on this month long search (obsession) to find the perfect camera. Here is what I am looking for:

1) a camera that will take good indoor pictures (parties, gatherings, children at play etc.) I don't mind using a flash.

2) a camera that will actually get the shot I want - like the moment your child is blowing out the candles on her birthday cake. (fast to focus and take the shot)

3) the ability to put it in my purse.

that's it! I have a $500-$600 budget and I have narrowed it down to the Canon G-12 (ugly but gets good reviews) the Olympus XZ-1 (made my heart pitter-patter!) and the Panasonic G2 (a little big - but I could work with it) However, If I got the G2, It would be quite a while before I could afford another lens. My problem is that I have NO experience with any of these cameras. I hear people complain about how slow a camera is to focus, and my only frame of reference is the ZS-7 which couldn't focus fast enough to catch my daughter blowing out her candles on her cake... or the look of joy when she opened her christmas gifts. I keep reading that compact cameras and m4/3 are not good for moving children and indoor shots, but my f30 managed those things (if a little slowly) for 4 years.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow