Is GH2 ISO 3200 really this close to ISO 100 on GF1 with the 14mm F2.5?

Started Jan 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Is GH2 ISO 3200 really this close to ISO 100 on GF1 with the 14mm F2.5?

I wanted to test the GH2 against my GF1 so I shot the same scene, in the same position, with the same lens(14mm F2.5), with the same settings for RAW and .jpg files. I processed the RAW files in SillyPix since everyone who has a GH2 has that program.

I was shocked when I saw the results. When I crop the GH2 ISO image it looks really close to the ISO 100 crop of the GF1. The ISO 3200 from the GF1 is utterly unusable even when I process the RAW file.

So are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the GH2 really that much better than the GF1?

Both images were shot with the 14mm F2.5 @ F2.5. I used the Natural color mode with zero Contrast, +1 sharpness, +1 color, and -1 noise reduction. I feel these are good settings for the GH2 because its noise reduction is fairly strong. There really isn't much you can do with the GF1 ISO 3200 to make it look good. I can post the RAW files as well if anyone wants to take a crack at it with LR3.

I also shot videos with and without ETC and took stills during the videos. I will post the complete set of all ISOs from 160-12,800 later.

GH2 ISO 3200

GF1 ISO 100

GF1 ISO 3200

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Don
Don
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow