Hoya HMC UV(0) vs UV(c) on LX3 and FZ35
Purists will not recommend protectors but a lot of people do use them and have noticed Hoya's change in UV Identification. Are these two the same? Well, that's almost true when comparing the two side by side. I used the Hoya 46mm HMC UV filters and compared.
I have both .... one from about 18months ago, the other purchased last week. This is what I found.
1. There apppears to be no physical difference in the construction, glass, coating, clearity or image quality between the two.
2. They are both Multi Coated and the cost is the same.
3. The older UV(0) is made in Japan, the newer UV(c) is made in the Philippines.
4. Despite some talk that (c) refers to "compact", the newer UV(c) is actually a hair (and I mean hair) taller than the older one. This comparison was made with both placed flat on a table top. I could feel the very slight difference with my finger run over the frame of each while next to one another. It is possible that one has a little more thread thus the difference but they are very, very close to being the same. Neither one is what I would call a low profile / slim line design ... certainly not like a B&W slim that I have.
5. I tried each one on an LX3 and FZ35 and there was no vignetting.
In summary, I was unable to discern any significant difference between the UV(0) and UV(c) in the 46mm size. I hope my long term use with the new filter is as successful as the original.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4