Can you name 2 frequent mistakes and 2 non-typical uses for softboxes

Started Jan 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
Experience...

andrewD2 wrote:

Wait, you didn't know anything bigger than 100cm square existed and when you find it does it is "poorly performing"? Show me the results of your extensive testing...

All shallow boxes perform poorer than well designed deep boxes. Physics bites.

You don't have much experience with a large range of gear, do you?

If you want something even better the 195cm lightbank octa should suit.

I know. We had one at MPW. Seriously, biggest Style, and it's running on a Bogen Sky Trax system.

[warning: nudity]
http://www.swissarmyfork.com/images/2008-02-09-0102.jpg

With the skyport you can control the power in 1/10th stops even when it is mounted inside the lightbank.

Actually, you can't. The Skyport doesn't have any type of readouts on the transmitter, so you have to be able to see the readout on the monolights in order to be able to actually "control" them. So, we used an older Style with a wired remote.

In a thread about softbox usage you are suggesting not to buy a brand of lighting with an extensive range of lightweight, easy to set up softboxes with optional deflectors and very well regarded lightbanks.

Really? You don't seem to have any practical experience with the equipment you're talking about, and yet, you're an authority on what I might be "suggesting".

I'm sure I won't be the only person to think your opinions are extremely biased.

I've definitely come to that conclusion about yours.

'll certainly be ignoring them.

Oh, if only that were so.

I like profoto gear but the price differential makes elinchrom, at least in the UK, a very good option. The deep octa's are pretty popular with non elinchrom users also.

Including me. But your comments on the Skyport lead me to believe that you don't have my experience with one.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow