7D : metering problem

Started Jan 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
fpix
OP fpix Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Real world is what matters, i'd suggest go out and shoot that bird...

Hi Mark,

I partially do agree with you. Actually I make a lot photos outdoors (eventually check http://www.fpix.eu ). I noticed the phenomenon outside, it annoys me and now I am trying to understand what happens. I just did not put samples with real photos from the field since these would have been difficult to replicate.

Of course, I do not know real exposure algorithms and even if we knew them we could not use these. Not this is the problem. My concern is the following. Aswell in One Shot as in AI Servo the camera sees the SAME scene and KNOWS where the focus is and I expect it should propose the SAME exposure. Unless John has a correct guess of what is happening - this I have to try out somehow.

Further, the problem is not to find a workaround. CW would fine, of course. I prefer partial (yes, partial, not spot) metering in action photos. For example on a bright colored flying bird I work with Tv and partial metering and I dial in +1 ... +1 2/3 exposure compensation, depending on how bright the bird's color is. This works fine. Sometimes the partial metering zone matches better the size of the bird in frame. The partial metering zone is larger than with spot and smaller than with CW.

-- hide signature --

Cristi@fpix.ro

fpix's gear list:fpix's gear list
Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow