The eternal body/lens question

Started Jan 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
Lee Beasley Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Re: The eternal body/lens question

I really like the K-r, which can be had for $649 with the 18-55 lens or $630 body-only (go figure). That would still leave you $350, more or less, for a prime. I notice the 40mm is $30 more than that new ($380). I'm sure I could be entirely happy shooting with the K-r for a year, but that's me. I'm not inclined to go out shooting in the rain, snow or extreme cold any more, so the lack of weather sealing doesn't bother me. The K-x is even less, leaving you more for a better prime, and I tried one out, but I just couldn't get used to the lack of light-up focus points.

Now, if you just want to shoot black and white and don't mind the lack of a viewfinder, you can't really do much better than the Olympus or Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras, but using the LCD screen all the time begins to annoy me. Olympus has a grainy black and white filter that's really fun, and Panasonic has an exceptional black and white engine. It seems to me that somebody has the EPL-1 for a giveaway price, but I can't remember where I saw it. Then you could just bank the difference and start saving for the Pentax system you really want.

Lee Beasley's gear list:Lee Beasley's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow