Seabird caught fish

Started Jan 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
john10001 Contributing Member • Posts: 645
Re: Seabird caught fish

I have taken a few of birds recently but am still learning myself. At the moment a lot of it is very experimental and hit and miss.

I am mainly shooting with shutter priority and trying to get the right settings to capture the motion of the birds in flight without bluring or freezing etc. I am finding around 1/500's of a second give or take is about right.

Tripod is a must unless the bird(s) are quite close. I've not used burst mode for a while so I may try this again. I've just been using single shots. I'm not looking at the LCD for comosition but just looking at the scene with my eyes because when they set off the LCD wont pick it up quick enough there will be too much lag and I'll miss the shot.

I've also caught two shots of a helicopter recently too but I took those both at 1/800 sec and unfortunately it froze the chopper in mid air you can clearly see the rotor blades with no motion so it doesn't look too great.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,

John

Born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. I reject EU citizenship.

Pentax Espio Mini / Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, LX5 / Now someone please sell me their K7 with FA43 1,9 prime lens on eBay for a low price ;)!
_ _

john10001's gear list:john10001's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow