60D First Impressions.

Started Jan 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,820
60D First Impressions.

I just received my new 60D today.
So I started fiddling and playing with it this evening.
Testing many functions etc.
All I can say so far is I love it.

There are obvious small niggles and limitations here and there that Canon seem deliberately to place to differentiate it from the Full fledged Pro bodies.

Other than that this camera is very close to all I want in a DSLR and IMO it can be used professionally. I don't understand why many put it in the Enthusiast Prosumer category.

Since my previous DSLR was a T1i, I was familiar and knew what to expect. The only unexpected thing was the relatively "cheap" feeling of the body, especially the buttons. They lack a nice feedback, is difficult to know when you have press them. I have no problem with the grip or size or the plastic. I find the weight ideal, not to heavy not too light. But I have the impression that my T1i and Pro1 have better built quality. But this is highly subjective, I'd tend to believe is a durable camera even if it doesn't fell that way. Given that the 60D has weather isolation gaskets is probably the reason why the buttons feel weird.
The shutter is quieter, softer than the T1i and I like that.

I tested the Video mode and also the Wireless ETTL Flash function. I'm happy to know that it works with my Metz 48 AF-1, even with the 48Af-1 light sensor placed on the opposite side.

I also tested the Audio with an external electrect Microphone, it was good, but I heard some hiss noise, I regorded in Manual and also Autogain. I need to do a more careful comparison here to my Digital Audio Recorder to come to a conclusion though.

So far I'm very happy with the 60D and all the things it can do. I feel I can easily stick with this camera for 4 or more years, something that I really wanted to do. I was just waiting for Live View, Video and the Variangle LCD, so here they are with the 60D !!

The only little details I don't like so far are. How the buttons feel, the ISO button is too small, no WB status on top LCD and the convoluted way to access the Video mode.

The Video mode features and interface needs some polishing, but the quality and the basic functions are there to do nice things with it. IMO this camera has the basics and more important, the quality to make Professional videos.

I would need more time to fully get to know this camera, but so far this looks to me as one of the best Photo/Video gadgets ever made under $1000.

Thanks Canon !.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow