Problem with manfrotto 498 ball head - loose camera plate?

Started Jan 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ingmar New Member • Posts: 3
Problem with manfrotto 498 ball head - loose camera plate?

Just got my first tripod 055XPRO with 498 Ball head (no QR plate) and overall I am very happy with what I got (after playing around for a day).

However, when mounting the camera snug onto the ball head plate, it (meaning the plate) still has significant play in the horizontal plane (a wild guess would be about +/- 2 degrees). This is quite annoying because even at a moderate zoom (50mm lens on 30D) a slight nudge to the camera completely wrecks the framing of the scene.

To be clear; everything, from tripod legs to ball head is pretty solid. The camera is securely screwed onto the ball head's camera plate. What seems to be moving is the camera plate on the ball head itself. I tried to fasten the screw that holds the plate down, but it already seems pretty tight and I don't really have the proper tools (wrench) to do this anyway.

Since this is my first tripod, I am wondering if this is "normal" or if I have to suspect a manufacturing problem, in which case I would sent it back for a replacement.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ingmar

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow