DNG or Camera Proprietary Raw?

Started Jan 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pimpleportrait Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
DNG or Camera Proprietary Raw?

I am now the owner of two Camera systems, Olympus E5 and Canon 550D/t2i, the latter which I recently won in a photo competition. Having decided to keep and use both systems, I know I would soon face a messy workflow. Having no support as yet from Adobe, my E5 files are being converted with Olympus Studio to Tiffs which I then process in Photoshop. Then there are the Canon files to deal with, which I am planning to keep separate from my Oly files due to the difference in resolution and file sizes. I am not sure if I have to upgrade to CS5 to convert both system's files simply to DNG. Is DNG future proof? I do not see it embraced as an open format.

My main question is "Does converting to DNG have any detrimental effect to quality?" Do I loose information?

And what Raw converters to you use? Which would make things easier to organise and find? Aperture, Lightroom, or Bridge in Photoshop. And why?

Thanks. Sorry about my convoluted questioning. Just says so much about my predicament

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ekn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow