Should I buy the 70-200 2.8 IS II now?

Started Dec 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Grummbeerbauer Regular Member • Posts: 230
Should I buy the 70-200 2.8 IS II now?

Hi everyone,

I have been eyeballing the price of new 70-200 f2.8 IS II for a while now, and it seems it finally stabilized at around 1850€ (yes, that's a whooping 2450USD, but includes taxes). And since these lenses are not really mainstream consumer products, I doubt that there will be any massive price drop after the holidays.

I read about every review of the lens I could get a hold of, including reviews from sites that allow a comparison with the 70-200 f4 IS which I have. My f4 is sharp as tack (though focus is not always spot on near MFD with my 7D), so I doubt that the f2.8 will give me a noticeable improvement in image quality, aside from being able to shoot at f2.8, of course. What worries me a bit is that the focus variability might be more a problem of the camera (or Canon's AF system...), so that I might end up stopping down the lens more often than I like, and not getting too much out of it, considering price and weight.

The money itself is not really the issue, it is more that I question my sanity investing so much in photography equipment -- I am a hobbyist, so it is not that I really needed the lens. Its probably more that I am still looking for a Christmas present for myself.

I am trying to justify the f2.8 II to myself by telling me that I can always sell my 70-200 f4 IS with minimal loss, but I am afraid that considering the f2.8 is double the weight, I might end up keeping both "just in case".

Another justification is that with the new Mk. III extenders I might even get usable 400mm as an option and would not have to wait for a replacement of the aging 100-400 any longer.

So, please, en- or discourage me to pull the trigger on that one.

THX

Grummbeerbauer's gear list:Grummbeerbauer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EOS 450D +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow