Started Dec 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,090
Re: sensor gain vs underexposure

luisflorit wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

luisflorit wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

What you're saying is that Olympus could set the gain one stop higher with advantage. There's a simple expedient, which is to set the ISO one stop higher yourself and dial in 1 EC to compensate - then you'll get the same exposure but higher gain.

This is kind of what I do now, shooting at ISO800 instead of ISO500, but I dial +2/3EV (not -, but +) to get a RAW file with an exposure closer to what I want, and avoid pushing it too much at development. Then of course I destroy the JPG, and I cannot correctly check the exposure in the LCD...

I do something different. I set the maximum exposure that I can, that is longest shutter speed and smallest DOF I can tolerate for what I'm doing - actually the shutter speed is the one to watch -

You cannot do that when the light changes constantly, unless you're happy missing lots of shots. For example when birding in rainforests. When you try to set the exposure manually, your bird moved 20 cm, from the shadow to the sun. You try again, your bird is gone. You have to let the camera decide something. I use shutter priority when birding in rainforests, for example.

That's right that's why I'd like a proper Auto ISO, works in full stops, no limits manual settings with EC to adjust to my choice of which ISO goes with which exposure. I'm told Olympus has this. If so, it would be a good reason to go Olympus, if not for ...

Of course the problem is not the "adjustment". The problem is that dialling +1 or 1.2 EV brings lots of noise. This is the ONLY problem. That's precisely why I shoot with +2/3 EV.

No, it doesn't. Digital adjustment brings in no extra noise - it just amplifies that which was there anyway

Yes, it does bring extra noise and loose DR compared to sensor electronic gain. Unless you have an outstanding sensor. Otherwise, no one would ever care about electronic sensor gain.

The adjustment doesn't bring the noise - it is the high noise cause by a crappy ADC without adjustable gain to kludge round it. I think we're saying the same thing again - my point is that it isn't the tone adjustment, the pushing, that adds the noise - the noise is in the raw file to begin with, the trick with any particular camera is to find the combination of exposure and gain settings that minimises it. Some cameras make you work harder at this, and some cameras optimal setting doesn't get close to others - that's the problem. You could leave a K-5 or D7000 (or, for that matter a 7D, but not to the same extent) at base ISO and push and you'd get lower noise than a E-5 at the 'proper' ISO setting. I don't know if you ever saw this demonstration by Pierre Sottas
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=36903045
This is from a D7000, ISO 6400, 1/30, f2.0 with very bad lightning conditions:

This is the same shot, same exposure, 100 ISO, pushed 6 stops

The pushed shot has more in both the shadows and highlights.
You might find the follow up thread interesting, too
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=36912461
--
Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow