E-5 Raw noise performance = E-30/ ballpark E-3's

Started Dec 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,863
the flaw in reasoning is back

the end result is 1 to 1.5 stops better after your choice of best PP because of the increased detail

And when you read all of the above that's why the people that actual own and use both cameras are getting lower noise results with more detail from the e5 than their E30 (in my case).

If you are looking at ooc jpegs the E5's are better because the in camera NR is more effective - also because of the weaker AA filter.

If you are using a raw workflow, the same holds true.

In my case I did careful comparisons between the E30 and E5 with no sharpening and the pattern to the noise is much different. This also results in a much better final result after any real life work flow.

But I'm sure we will see this same post rotate around again stating the noise is the same so the E5 can't be better or some such non-sense. If the noise is the same (even though the pattern is not) in some measurement that ignores the factors of detail and type of noise which completely relate to the final result. I could agree with your premise and disagree with your conclusion. It's not surprising this theme keeps being postulated by someone that does not have both cameras they are comparing but just staring at downloaded raws.

You may think that's valid. But it's not as valid as having both cameras on a tripod using the same raw converter in the same lighting and seeing the difference.

The last time this post was going, the samples that were put up showed the noise was of a totally different nature. But the posters didn't seem to notice this.

Oh well.

My last waste of my time comment on another of these waste of time posts.

All in all a pretty meaningless post - again. (I think this is at least the 3rd time I've seen a similar themed thread)
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow