Is canon EOS 1Ds still worth?

Started Dec 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,716
Re: Is canon EOS 1Ds still worth?

The T2i is a nice camera for what it is, to be sure. (Yes, love that LCD.) But the 1Ds would be all about image quality. For what they are designed, the T2i is not match whatsoever. Insofar as IQ, it's only advantage is a far greater ISO range. If a shallow DOF is required, the much larger sensor provides a clear advantage. And the 1Ds AF system is simply going to provide greater accuracy.

We chose T1i bodies for our 3-week motorcycle trip across country from Atlanta to the Grand Canyon. Loved their small size (important for that sort of travel), big viewing monitor, and snapshot-friendly interface. It was when we actually reached the Grand Canyon, however, that I was longing for my 1DsII. And when we returned home and processed the raw files, I cringed here and there at some of the weaknesses of that sensor design by comparison.

f64manray wrote:

libis22 wrote:

Hi All,

I am new to DSLR category but I used to work with SLR previously.
I was just looking for a second hand camera under 1200$ budget.

In ebay I could see Canon EOS 1Ds on sale which comes close to my budget. I love Nature, landscape and wildlife photography. Anyone please advise is it still worth the money or technology has gone far beyond? I tried to research but couldn’t find a direct answer anywhere.

Regards,
Libin

Basically, your spending $1,000+ on a very old out dated computer. Digital imaging technology has come along way since then (not that the 1Ds doesn't make fine images). Personally, I think you'd be far better off with a T2i than the old 1Ds even if it's just for the far superior and larger LCD screen.

-- hide signature --

Michael Thomas Mitchell

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow