UPDATE on fake Sony NP-FW50 battery

Started Dec 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Little Pooter Contributing Member • Posts: 644
UPDATE on fake Sony NP-FW50 battery

Some of you might recall I unknowingly purchased a counterfeit Sony battery on eBay a while back. Once received, I realized it was fake, and received a refund from the seller who acknowledged it was a "high quality copy". At that time I commented that the battery actually worked well, it fit without any modifications but had a shorter operating time. It worked without issue for about 5 or 6 cycles.

UPDATE: About a week ago, while using this battery in very cold conditions, I received the "use compatible battery" warning on my A55. Cycling the camera on/off removed the warning and I was able to continue shooting. This warning was enough for me to decide to throw it in the garbage as I should have done originally. As soon as I got home, I ordered an authentic battery from a local retailer. Below are a few photos comparing the retail package of the real thing, with the fake one bought on eBay. The weight is also different, about 6oz for the fake and 8oz for the real. Note the poor representation of the word SONY on the fake battery... a dead give-away.

I'm pretty sure that the battery case itself comes from the same factory as the real thing, it is absolutely identical in shape, fit and dimensions. The grey connector and battery inside (based on weight) are clearly different.

NOTE: It wasn't until I looked at these close up shots that I noticed the fake battery had an area of plastic melted between the connectors. This is probably what caused the warning. This alone should be enough of an indicator that you should only use an authentic battery for your cameras. The battery is now in the bottom of a garbage can where it should have gone as soon as I realized it was fake. Hopefully you guys will learn from my mistake and A) don't buy a Sony battery on eBay from China, buy from a trusted source. B) If you did buy one without realizing it like me, stop using it, you are inviting potential problems.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, A500, HDR-SR12, T100

Lenses: Sigma18250 OS HSM, Maxxum 50mm 1.7, SAM 18-55mm, SAL70400G, Lensbaby Composer

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow