LENS! CANON 7D first DSLR

Started Dec 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,078
Re: LENS! CANON 7D first DSLR

The 7D is a great camera, you need to decide if its advantages over the 60D are really worth it for you: Better AF (which seems to require a lot more study than the 60D, even for seasoned canonistas), better viewfinder, chunkier (not necessarily good or bad, depends on you hands), Micro Adjust (only if your lenses need it, and I might be wrong but I think it only works for primes). Make no mistake: The 60D is a great camera too, it just competes on another market segment. Assuming you have about $2,400 to spend (price of 7D + 800 USD) an option could be:

60D ($1,000)
Tamron 17-50 ($460)
Canon 70-200 f4 ($635)

With money left for bags, lens cases, memory cards, additional batteries, hoods, filters... Or even a fast prime like the Canon 85mm 1.8...

If you're really into wild life you need to decide if you need the 400mm (640mm on a crop body) and go straight for the Canon 400mm 5.6... However great the 70-200 family of lenses is, it might feel to short for that...

As others have said, worry about the lenses first, the camera second... And when you feel your brain is about to implode from all the options... Remember to have fun!

7Dm wrote:

hello:

I am getting my first DSLR soon, whisch is a Canon 7D.

I would like to know what lens could I buy with it. I am able to spend at the most $800 on two lenses or $700 on one lens.
I was thinking about the 70-200 f/4 USM and maybe the 50 f/1.8
but i am open to any othere suggestions.
I shoot Wildlife, sports and nature in general.

I would also like to know if the Canon 7D is good as a first DSLR for what I shoot.

Thankyou

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
7Dm
7Dm
7Dm
7Dm
7Dm
7Dm
7Dm
7Dm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow